The documents required for initial registration of motor vehicles in Bulgaria are as follows:
- Application for registration;
- Ownership documents – a contract for the purchase of the car (the contract should be elaborated bilingual in Greek or English and Bulgarian language)
- Diagnostic technical sheet of the vehicle certifying that the vehicle is in good shape;
- ‘Liability Insurance”, issued by an insurance company.
- Power of attorney for the authorized person to make the registration in the Bulgarian Traffic Police.
The car should be registered within 14 days after the signing of the purchase contract before the Bulgarian Traffic Police. Since 2008 before the registration of the car in Bulgaria an additional “eco tax” should be paid. In order to calculate the exact costs we need to have additional information for the car, that is: type, model, year of manufacture, type of the engine, engine power.
The costs that should be paid to the Traffic Police for the registration of the car are about 120 euro and include the new car plates and the inspection of the car. Additional cost shall be necessary for the “eco tax” and the insurance for accident liability, but the exact amounts dependo in the specification of the car.
After the registration of the car in Bulgaria should be paid the following annual costs:
- An annual municipality tax;
- An insurance for accident liability that is obligatory;
- An insurance that covers all the damages (optional);